View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #67 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

This stuff is expensive, but so is moving on.

(begin off topic rant)

I bought a new Mustang GT 6MT in 2015. I modified it similar to how my 370z was at the time (bolt-on FI, wheels/tires, mild suspension for daily driving, fuel system and tuning, exhaust/clutch). It made 815whp at 12psi on the stock engine, and at that power its about as dependable as a 370z at maybe 725whp stock engine. Similar performance between the 2 as well (it just barely inched away from Justins Z running at 700whp).

Lately I have considered selling that Mustang. Based on the going rate for one setup like it, I stand to lose $35,000 - $38,000 in depreciation (car+mods-sale value). I have about 24,000 miles on that car. So I paid 35+ to drive that car for 24,000 miles, and it really doesnt have much on a 370z, if anything at all. A slightly better stereo and nicer seats. If I had at least purchased the auto, it would be quite a bit quicker at the drag strip. But mine is manual trans.

Moving to other platforms can look like a better value from the outside sometimes. And they might have been, had you not already owned a 370z. But imagine what I could have done with 65 grand into my 370z over 4 years. I think I would have had to start stuffing wads of cash in the glovebox to even put that kind of money into it. It certainly would have been a much wiser business decision for me.

Sometimes it sounds insane to put 30-40g into building a engine and trans setup for your car... but that is merely the depreciation you will eat moving on to a new platform. We just need something like this billet block (or figure out a complete solution for the cast block) so that we can truly reap the benefits of building these, spending some quality time behind the wheel. Dealing with broken transmissions, axles, whatever you can think of... sounds like a complete JOY to me, because that means the glass ceiling has been broken. That other stuff is more typical and expected costs of racing.

(end off topic)

Last edited by phunk; 12-11-2019 at 01:16 PM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote