View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
gshort24
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370Z
gshort24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
My brackets are bolted on. Two bolts on each side.
I can handle oil changes, but that's about it, so I appreciate everyone's advise and suggestions which gave me the confidence to do this myself with limited tools etc. Thanks for the help.

In order to remove the cross member support straight down instead of trying to slide it forward a couple inches to clear the attachment area in the center for the long curved round bar sub frame brace, I just removed 6 bolts that were easy to get to, and dropped that curved brace down a few inches which didn't take that long. I looked again and their was an area where I could support the subrame with jack stands or for more space savings I just used a 2 x 4. As I was loosening the rear subframe bolts to get to the piece i wanted to remove, the body started separating from the subframe which made me nervous during my first attempt, but it ended up that the subframe was not actually dropping down away from the body which I expected load to be put on the 2 x 4s I had under the subframe, but instead since the shocks were still connected to the the body, it seems like the bolts were pulling and sucking the body down onto the subframe. I removed the subframe bolts, twisted and finagled the crossbrace out and through the side of the car so I didn't have to remove the muffler.

I was able to get ahold of a crusty Nismo crossbrace to use as a template to create my own brackets which could be welded onto the piece I pulled out of my car. I'll take it to a professional welder, then should be good to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (126.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (104.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 32.jpg (100.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (109.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (97.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by gshort24; 11-25-2019 at 11:58 AM.
gshort24 is offline   Reply With Quote