Thread: Porsche Cayman
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #95 (permalink)
k.alexander
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z PG M6
k.alexander has a reputation beyond reputek.alexander has a reputation beyond reputek.alexander has a reputation beyond reputek.alexander has a reputation beyond reputek.alexander has a reputation beyond reputek.alexander has a reputation beyond reputek.alexander has a reputation beyond reputek.alexander has a reputation beyond reputek.alexander has a reputation beyond reputek.alexander has a reputation beyond reputek.alexander has a reputation beyond repute

@USMCram Oh man, we're in the exact same boat. I know exactly how you feel, and I understand exactly what you're describing.

I'm still on the fence too. I mean just like you I've driven the Z as a DD for almost 11 years--there's a bond, man, a real bond there! I do get attached to my cars. My previous car was a last gen Honda Prelude which I drove for 9.5 years and had almost as much difficulty parting from as I am having right now just thinking about selling the Z.

I agree with everything you said except that I never found the engine/exhaust sound of the Z particularly pleasing (maybe it's better on the Nismo). I agree with literally everything else you wrote.

The dealer gave me a 718 Cayman S (PDK unfortunately) to drive around for the weekend. These (very nice) "geniuses" gave me a brand new car with not even 100 miles on it, for the weekend, with a full tank of gas (I had to get more) and told me to have fun. I put 300 miles on it going nowhere, but I did discovery some amazing back roads within 10 min of my new house, which also go nowhere, but are AMAZING!

I had fun! And man, I am going to get into sooooo much trouble if I end up getting the Porsche.

The power in the 718 just comes on so strong and so fast. It feels like the scenes in the Fast and Furious movies when they hit the Noz button And that power is there almost all the time, anything over about 2,200 Rpm, and the boost is just there, full on! It's almost difficult not to drive the thing hard.

I was very curious how I would feel after I dropped the 718 of Sunday night, and got into the Z. Up until that point, I was ready to start looking for a 718. Then I got into the Z, and although it feels bigger and (I wouldn't say slower, but would say) not as fast; I didn't feel like it was serious step down. It was just different.

So now a few days later, I am still banging my head against the wall deciding what to do. Sooner or later the writing is on the wall, the Z is almost 11 years old and although it is a reliable bulletproof beast, eventually I am going to have to get something new. Maybe I should look at it as a reward for working hard, or whatever.......not sure.

I'll post updates.
k.alexander is offline   Reply With Quote