Thread: Oil Consumption
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
mokhan996
Base Member

Drives: 2013 Nissan 370Z
mokhan996 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilvers View Post
Also had a 09 Z with 300K+ miles on the clock before it was traded in and really shows how dependable/reliable the VQ37HR engine is overall. After 100K miles it started using about 1-1 1/2 quarts of oil between oil changes intervals. I talked to a Nissan engineer about this and several master Nissan technicians about this oil consumption issue and apparently this is normal operating for the VQ37HR engine to use motor oil between oil change intervals after the engine break in period and you begin accumulating mileage on your Z. I was told between 09-11 years were mostly effected by the oil consumption issue. Some had the oil consumption issue and some did not. Also our cars are meant to be driven if the oil consumption issue is there driving your Z easy will not change the level of oil consumption changes in your engine will. If you are using 5W30 M1 that synthetic motor oil has adequate high temperature stability. Any quality API certified synthetic motor oil will work just fine. Don’t stress out about it and just check your oil level on your dip stick and change your oil on time 3K mile oil change intervals is fine. Oil temp of 220 is normal running operating temperature and that is not considered to be running hot. Definitely consider installing a oil cooler in your Z if you don’t already have one.
Yeah I always use M1 5w30 Fully Synthetic. I plan to purchase the Z1 34 Row cooler kit. I'll continue to check on the oil every now and then. At first I thought the oil cooler seal was leaking but nope.. have 1500 miles left until another oil change and it'll be sitting for the winter.
mokhan996 is offline   Reply With Quote