View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 01:32 AM   #24 (permalink)
Geoff-AU
Base Member

Drives: 2018 370Z KAD 6MT
Geoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero View Post
The reality is that bumming around town really doesn't require sticky tires
Race compound would be overkill, sure.

For road use I value wet performance when half worn. That, to me, is the benchmark point where some tyres fall off a cliff and better tyres keep their mojo.

On previous cars, Bridgestone's RE001 went rock hard for me to the point where I felt unsafe taking gentle bends at the speed limit when it rained. They were extremely slippery and unpredictable in the wet - randomly. I subsequently swapped wheels, and took the RE001s on 3 drift days before I could get them to show canvas. Disgraceful.

The tyres I went to next, Dunlop Sport Maxx TT, were brilliant right down to the wear markers in both dry and wet weather. Complete confidence in the tyres and I had a few sets.

I later moved to Bridgestone RE003, and they weren't quite as grippy as the Sport Maxx TT, but they behaved respectably well until they wore out and were quite cheap so I've had a couple of sets of them too.

There's no point putting R compound on a daily driven car, but there's also no point buying a sports car and then putting **** tyres on it. The happy medium's in the middle somewhere. I want to know I have half a chance of braking in time when some dickhead pulls out in front of me in the wet. I also don't want to feel like the car is going to spit me into the bushes when it rains.
Geoff-AU is offline   Reply With Quote