View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
BettyZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: A Garage Queen
BettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero View Post
If the noise occurs during compression and sounds like a squeak, sometimes a sharp pop, that is the springs "binding" against metal.

The best i can explain it: when a spring is compressed down, the top and bottom rotate. thats physically the coiling/uncoiling of the spring. Well, what are the top and bottom touching? The upper mount and lower seat. All that stuff is metal. So you have metal moving against metal, which creates noise.

The radial bearing eliminates the noise by putting that mounting surface on a rotating platform with low friction. The thrust washer does the same thing - it's just two plastic (or i think one plastic and one metal) ring that goes between the spring and the mounting surface, so that rotation has less friction and therefore less noise.

The radial bearing is a sophisticated (and more expensive) solution.
The thrust washers are a cheap and just as practically effective solution.

I have used the swift washers on three cars (S14, IS300, Z34) and it has solved the spring popping noise every time.
One plastic **** ring and one metal **** ring for the top and bottom of the spring.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk