View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
obender66
Base Member

Drives: 2016 370Z Base 6M GM
obender66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValidusVentus View Post
Indeed. To expand on that a bit; the ideal brake balance of the car is dictated by how much traction is available at either end of the car under maximum braking. The traction available is dictated by the tires, weight balance of the car, and the weight transfer that takes place at maximum braking. The amount of weight transfer is dictated by the wheelbase length, the weight of the vehicle and the rate of deceleration.

In effect this means that with grippier tires, more weight transfer will take place and the front brakes should be, and will be able to, do comparatively more of the braking work since they have more weight over their tires. Conversely, with less grippy tires or when its raining, at maximum braking, less weight transfer will take place (because you cant brake as hard) and a setup where there is less of a front biased braking force -still front biased though- will then provide the most overall braking ability. That's why, a bit counter-intuitively imo, racecars or cars with adjustable brake bias like mine need to run more rear bias in the wet than in the dry to maximize their braking capability.
Thank you, that is a great insight. My problem is that it is very difficult to quantify by seat of the pants traction available. Car slows down, I do not crash, I do not get brake fade after 25-30 minutes on the track (I get tired before my brakes are) it slows down in the straight line, save for crap on the track but am I optimized?