View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Ive run 15s before. You have to switch to early 350z base model rear brakes. Youll need calipers, pads, rotors, and I think the lines IIRC. Light modifications to the backing plate.

You can run a 26x10.5 tire if you want to stay stockish diameter. If you have lots of power you may want to step up to a 28x10.5. One thing to note is that I found my brake bias to behave a little funny with the 28" tire and small rear brake combo. I cant say whether it was due to the proportioning system disliking the larger diameter or if it was just due to the change in rear piston surface area. I never really thought much about it, merely observed that it was occurring (over heating the rear brakes and compromising stability under hard braking).

Getting a 370z to hook up can be futile if you're stubborn about stance or ride height. If hooking up becomes a greater priority, it suddenly hooks up about as well as anything else IRS RWD.

Put on stock springs and shocks. You want the higher center of gravity because you want body roll (rear weight transfer). You want the lighter spring rates that accommodate weight transfer more. Get rid of as much negative camber as you are willing. More sidewall and lower tire pressure will allow you to maintain decent contact patch during suspension stroke when the camber gets real excited.

I have been using zero rear toe the last few years in my personal cars... I have no comment about that as far as how toe effects traction. I did it because I believe I was ruining drag compound street radials with excessive heat cycling from high speed highways runs; and getting rid of the toe to reduce friction/heat at least appears to have fixed the problem for me so far or at least extend the functional life of the tires.

Rolling on lowering springs, my best 60', using a 28x10.5 radial, was a 1.71. It was in a sea of crappier 60s and I dont imagine ever getting enough practice to replicate it on command. Using a setup more like I described above, Justins Z (on 28x10.5 bias ply slicks) could pound out 1.5 after 1.5, and occasional 1.4s, each and every one of them while babying the 100% stock driveline. There was probably 1.3s in there with an actually aggressive launch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2488.jpg (58.8 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by phunk; 09-23-2019 at 09:14 PM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote