View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #39 (permalink)
physics
Base Member

Drives: 19 Nissan 370Z SC 6M
physics is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
My understanding is that unless your engine is experiencing detonation or knocking, there is no reason to purchase a higher octane fuel. It does not improve performance. The only thing I could think of is if the knock sensor is detecting detonation and retarding timing even with a 91 octane fuel? Does the Z actually benefit from a higher octane than recommended in the owners manual?

Is there a difference in the oxygenation of Chevron vs V-Power? I could definitely see that affecting performance. Maybe V-Power doesn't contain ethanol?
The 91 octane that Nissan recommends in the manual is a minimum octane that your engine can run without damage, not an optimal octane. In my experience, blending enough Sunoco SS100 race gas with the 91 octane pump gas to get a blended average of 93 - 94 octane works very well in my Z. It idles a little smoother and more quietly and pulls a little stronger from a stop. My gas milegae average goes up by a couple of mpg with the higher octane blend. I think the ECU in our cars pulls timing and richens the fuel mixture when it senses the beginning of engine knock from the use of fuel lower than 93 octane.