View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
SonicVQ
Base Member

Drives: G37 Sport
SonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostvette View Post
The important part is that OP needs the FSM and needs to follow the troubleshooting steps outlined there. What he may find is multiple problems, a gas tank that has been over-filled, damaging the valve, causing erroneous voltage to be sent to the ECU. He could also find a damaged gas cap. Hell, he might even find a mouse or squirrel has chewed through a wire...

Access to a CONSULT system or a very good scanner would help diagnose the problem. EVAP system faults are generally a pain in the backside to troubleshoot and resolve. Between vacuum lines, sensors, valves and wires, it's not an easy fix.

I suggested gas cap because of the large number of failures I'd see on non-Nissan cars; as repairs go, it's relatively inexpensive. OP didn't give us year and mileage, so some presumptions have to made. If he bought an 09 or 10, it's entirely possible the cap has been damaged at some point, which will cause some odd fault codes, including P0447. Just an observation from many years of working on cars and watching the complexity evolve... You almost need 10k in electronic test equipment to troubleshoot cars any more.
Agreed, if the OP wants to fix it, the easist way is to follow the steps in the FSM.

As for the gas cap or broken line, that would cause a different code. A P0442 EVAP small leak detected.

EVAP codes are not difficult to troubleshoot. In this example, I would use a 12 volt battery and connect it to the vent valve solenoid and see if it clicks.

If it does, I would then blow in one port, energize the solenoid via battery and see if the port closes.

I have successfully used the above many times to resolve EVAP issues without special tools or a smoke machine.

Cars are easier than ever to repair, you just need to understand the OBD system. For example if you have a P0442 code, you can use the mode $06 of any good $15 OBD app (like OBD Fusion) to find out how large the hole is by looking at the test results.

This is my favourite Youtube site that explains OBD functions mostly on a VQ37VHR:
https://www.youtube.com/obd4everyone
SonicVQ is offline   Reply With Quote