View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #34 (permalink)
zero
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R
zero has a reputation beyond reputezero has a reputation beyond reputezero has a reputation beyond reputezero has a reputation beyond reputezero has a reputation beyond reputezero has a reputation beyond reputezero has a reputation beyond reputezero has a reputation beyond reputezero has a reputation beyond reputezero has a reputation beyond reputezero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL 4Motion View Post
Zero, what tuner did you go with, APR?

Glad to see you’re still enjoying the R. I still miss my old MK V R32 even after all these years. .

With these cars, dsg is absolutely the way to go, they’re very reliable and hold power so much better than the crappy vw manuals. The dq 380/381 7sp dsg is even better than the old dq250 6sp.

Any more plans to mod further?
I'm enjoying it even more after these tunes. I went with Unitronic after researching and comparing with APR. Unitronic tune is linear gain from the bottom to top end. It's not as aggressive as APR's. Like many said, it's OEM++ feel. It' very smooth power delivery. On top of that, I got a great deal for both ECU and TCU tunes. The cost would be the same as getting OEM Euro dynamic tail lights and harness that I was planning to do. The tuner said the dq380/381 DSG is rock solid with the tunes comparing to MT. MT clutch would not handle the tunes well. It would not hold extra torque increased well. I love this DSG. With DSG tune, it's even faster gear change comparing to stock tune. For future plans, I'm still thinking of Euro tail lights, but I might get rear sway bar first. I would love to go stage 2 with Down pipe, intercooler, and intake. For now I'm just going to enjoy this "NEW" R .