View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
dts3
Track Member

Drives: 08 Expedition
dts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stripped caliper bleed hole

As the subject says. I was bleeding my brakes and overdid it tightening the bleeder screws. It stripped out and was leaking from both the bleeder hole and threads. I wasn't home so I ended up tapping it out to 7/16 and just sticking a rusty bolt in there with some Teflon tape. I got out most (not all) of the shavings from the tap and topped off the bleed hole with fluid before closing it up. It worked better than I expected.

Now... Do I have to buy a new caliper, or should I be able to just get a 7/16 bleeder screw now that I've tapped this hole? I know I did not bottom out the tap on the caliper hole seat, so that interface should be in tact.

I'd rather not buy a new caliper and have it powder coated if I don't have to, but I think I know how this willl go.
dts3 is offline   Reply With Quote