View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
ChrisSlicks
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted180 View Post
i've been doing at least one track day and/ or auto-x a month. i've had 5 events so far since i bought the car in september. i use the car for daily driving also of course.

i didnt realize heat cycling would be an issue on these tires after only 5 events. my hankooks used to take way more cycles. the absolute worst tire when it comes to heat cycling are the rt-615's. i'd get maybe 3 events on them before they become completely useless. i call them "plasticized".
Yep, but for each track day you probably had 4 sessions with a long break in between, this multiplies the heat cycles. At auto-x you typically get 2 heat cycles, morning runs, and afternoon runs (or something to that effect). As you noticed the number of heat cycles varies dramatically by tire, but most of the 140TW Bridgestones seem to be good for around 25 and then start to fall off.

Some drivers also swear that age makes a difference, and that they can tell the difference in performance of a new tire that is 1 year old vs a new tire that is fresh out of the factory. This is supposedly because of some of the oils required for playability are leaving the tire. I don't think I'm that good, but I do like the smell of fresh rubber!
ChrisSlicks is offline   Reply With Quote