View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #38 (permalink)
analogman
Base Member

Drives: Actively shopping
analogman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowtoo View Post
For me the Z is more exciting. That's why I bought a new manual Sports Tech last year. It was the first sports car that I have ever had in my 64 years on this earth. It had the look and the nostalgia to go along with it. As someone said, "It is a new old car." Just what I wanted to keep me smiling!
chowtoo, I'm about the same age as you and have been shopping for a 370Z for the same reasons you said - it's a 'new old car'.

I shake my head at the negative comments from the bench racers on line (who've never actually driven the car) about how the 370Z is 'dated' and 'old'. Yes, it is, but for me that's exactly the attraction. Everything these days is moving towards 'turbo 4' engines and silly video game 'paddle shifters'. So many people lament that there is a dearth of cars with that old-school analog feel, naturally aspirated torquey engine, manual transmission, and rear wheel drive.

The 370Z is exactly that car. As another thread said, it's one of the last truly analog sports cars that places driving feel and pure fun above meeting emissions requirements. Yes, the infotainment system is obsolete, but it still works, and if you don't like it, the answer is simple: get a car without it. Other than that, I think the styling is still almost show car gorgeous, and the performance very competitive with the only other analog sports cars out there - the Miata, and the Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86 (which I've also been seriously considering; the Toyobaru twins are a fun driven though with an anemic engine).

I think the 370Z is one of those cars that will be missed when it's gone (which, given what a mess Nissan is in these days, may be soon; I'd bet that the 2020 model year will be the last for the 370Z).
analogman is offline   Reply With Quote