View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #70 (permalink)
AestheticCM1
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z MT/ST/Navi
AestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nis350 View Post
I too replaced my e46 M3 with the 370z. Honestly, the M3 is better in all categories compared to the Z The e46 M3 motor is amazingly smooth and interior is better with the napa leather etc... Yes, I do know that the maintenace is much higher for the M3.

The main reason for the replacement was because I really like the look of the car (my 3rd Z) and it was new to me while the M3 was old at the time.

It's probably not a fair comparison as the M3's MSRP was in the $60k's
Mine was an e36, and a 328i not an M, so your comparison is different from mine, though that's inconsequential given the subjective nature of your statement. While I'll give it a nod for balance, exhaust note, and obviously engine smoothness and torque curve (with the melodious straight six, none of those were ever up for debate), power difference aside, it didn't corner even remotely close to the Z. It was easier to feel out the limits though, whereas that certainly takes time in the Z. Interior, meh, no different from touring other than the wood finishes and inferior HK stereo (moonroof was nice though). Having only test driven new 335s back when I was looking at the Z, I can't really give any meaningful feedback on them other than the fact that their footprints felt WAY too big, their body roll was noticeable, and there was some lag in the throttle. I also didn't appreciate the lack of that analog mpg counter at the bottom of the instrument cluster. Obviously the e46 didn't suffer from that shortcoming to the same degree, but even it was a pig compared to the e36 size wise.

To counter your point though, in Motortrend skid pad tests the e46 m3 had a lateral g rating of .86 whereas the Z (sport package) pulled .91-1.01, so with respect to cornering, your memory of the e46's cornering ability may be a bit hazy. Also, the e46 m3 was only a $45k car so the comparison seems fair enough.

I like my cars like my women, Asian imports.