View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
dts3
Track Member

Drives: 08 Expedition
dts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudiofanat View Post
I'm not a fan of these at all. solder and heat shrink should be done separate and for solder to have a low melt temp makes me wonder what it it.
This.

Additionally, it doesn't seem like it gives you control over or the ability to verify the mating of the two wires. A solder joint isn't really designed to be a strong mechanical connection, but you at least want to make sure everything is mated right before you starting melting metal.

I used to be a solder/ heatshrink guy, but recently I've moved to these and haven't looked back. You should give them a try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N1...b_b_asin_title

The only drawback is that you need a special crimper that will not puncture the heatshrink sheath. The one I got was only $12 and very high quality. I now use these for every connection except audio directly to speakers.
dts3 is offline   Reply With Quote