Thread: STS Systems
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #176 (permalink)
Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: the 2 balled club
Zsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid View Post
I don't know if you prefer to hear fromt hem yourself or what. But to my understanding, the piping diameter is more important than the length overall. It's like a water hose that's been running. You have it running low and then turn the knob all the way to it's max pressure. How quick you turn the knob (turbo) is more important than the amount of travel needed since that can be offset by diameter (intercooler piping). That's essentially how it works.

Well let me ask this, do you understand how a turbocharging system works? It's not like a blow-dryer shooting pressure through a mile long tube. It's more like us taking a straw and blowing through it. The amount of air turbos tend to produce are insane.

I understand to a point, Ive had two Audi TTs that I was into modding and all to include upgrading the turbo on one. With these cars they used a recirculating diverter valve to help keep unused air in the intake system to help keep pressure up and not a blow off valve which just throws it away. I think that if they do something like this the length wont be a factor either, plus once air is moving it will continue to be there moving, its not like the piping will lose all the air and have to start over again. Plus ive always heard that with turbos you want a larger diameter exhaust, to a point, so as not to create much back pressure as the turbo itself does that and to go along with that you would want a better flowing air intake too.

Last edited by Zsteve; 02-03-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Zsteve is offline   Reply With Quote