View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 07:24 AM   #145 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

I'd already freed the calipers by the time my wife arrived with the socket, so I was ready to release my brake pads quickly and easily!

Brake pads, why for you no come out?!?! The frigging pins in the calipers were so warped and covered with brake dust and corrosion that it was a multi hour process to get them loose. It was complicated a little bit further by the learning curve -took me a few minutes to figure out that I actually needed to take those pins out to release the brake pads. So that's something I know now.

What I ended up doing was removing the cotter pin, pushing a drill bit through the bottom while unscrewing from the top, then once one end came free, gripping with needle nose pliers and pulling. Is there an easier way to do this or a better trick? It worked, but it was a very tedious process. This part should not have (but did) take me multiple hours, and it's not my first brake job.

Getting the fresh pins, plates, and brake pads in place was comparably easy. No pictures, you all know what that looks like I'm sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 - calipers pins.jpg (309.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by JLarson; 07-01-2019 at 07:32 AM.
JLarson is offline   Reply With Quote