Thread: Turbo Decisions
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gray Goose
Base Member

Drives: 2012 370Z Nismo #227
Gray Goose is on a distinguished road
Default Turbo Decisions

So, my first job was a mechanic and now I fit and weld as a hobby. I have a very good knowledge of all mechanical aspects of engines and I have even owned one turbo car. I've rebuilt engines and worked all types of vehicle. But I have never gone this in-depth with mods on a vehicle.

Now, I am not at all knowledgeable when it comes to tuning and ECUs. I do not even know what is used to change settings in an ECU. Completely clueless! Also vehicle specific, things such as injector sizes, when is a fuel return system needed, where specifically to make an oil return and where to get the oil supply for a turbo on a VQ. (-And a few other things.)

My gaps in knowledge are keeping me from building my own turbo kit and getting someone to tune it afterwards. I've also been told not to take that on, it is too difficult. To just buy a proven kit.

Well this is supposed to be project for my son and I to accomplish together. I think it would be fun to teach him to weld, and to have an original set up. Time is not a big issue and I have welding machines, tools, and even a lift on the way for my garage.

What say you fellow 370Z enthusiast? Who all has attempted your own set up? Is it that difficult? Am I crazy?

BTW I am looking at going with Boosted Performance (if I buy a kit). But Admin Tunning suggested to get the tuner kit and let him provide the injectors, fuel pump, return fuel, boost control and tune.

Total price would be $11,710 (including cost of tuner turbo kit from BP)
Well that plus my travel 350 miles to Houston and back
Gray Goose is offline   Reply With Quote