View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 10:51 PM   #72 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

The computer cabinet is gutted!

Backed a pickup into the garage and dropped the tailgate. Only 3-4" difference between bottom of tape drive sled and tailgate. Unplugged wiring and slid the main tape drive unit onto the tailgate. Salvaged four 12.5"x19" circuit boards for wall "art." Moved pickup to curb and slid the tape unit onto the ground.

Managed to wrestle the tape drive sled onto garage floor and started adding pieces to my scrap metal bin. This thing is built like a tank. I've stripped everything off the sled that was bolted/screwed on and it still weighs about 50 pounds. I now have several dozen machine screws with star washers for my collection.
Trying to decide what to do with the sled. Welded construction so I can't easily take it apart. Since I have all the hardware to mount it in the cabinet, I may move the rails to the bottom and use it as a "subcabinet." I'd hate to scrap it - it's a well-built piece - but not sure I'll have a good use for it.