Thread: Oil Nerds Info
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
VCuomo
Track Member

Drives: BMW 335i Sport
VCuomo will become famous soon enoughVCuomo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCherryZ View Post
if i may, so what is the bottom-line/conclusion of this debate?

1) just stick to what you like per your OWN experience?

2) just stick to what is recommended by Nissan?

3) or try different oils?

being ignorant, i had always thought "synthetic is synthetic" for a daily driver........ regardless of the brand, if you change it at a recommended interval, it should be ok......

afterall, nothing will run forever..............perhaps it's just our illusion: to feed what seems to be the best in the market, so that it could run forever..............

after reading this thread, i am more baffled..........just confused and cannot seem to make the best decision............

damn............. why does it have to be so complicated...........we just feed on our speculations and expectations...................
IMHO, the "bottom line" is that people are making way too big of a deal about what oil to use. Here is what I just posted in a different thread regarding the "What oil should I use?" question:

Quote:
The 2009 Nissan 370Z Owner's Manual just says to use a 5W-30 oil that is API certified. Here is the quote straight from the 2009 manual:
Select only engine oils that meet the American
Petroleum Institute (API) certification or International
Lubricant Standardization and Approval
Committee (ILSAC) certification and SAE viscosity
standard. These oils have the API
certification mark on the front of the container.
Oils which do not have the specified quality
label should not be used as they could cause
engine damage.
There is a one line reference to the Ester Oil in note 3 on page 9-2:
NISSAN recommends Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil, which is available at a NISSAN dealer.
That's it. Note that the Ester oil is recommended, not required. Basically, use an API certified 5W-30 oil (or appropriate weight oil for your driving conditions) and change it and the oil filter at regular (reasonable) intervals, and you will be fine.

If you want to go crazy on this topic (and have many hours to kill), head on over to BobIsTheOilGuy and start reading... But be prepared for major head spinnage...
VCuomo is offline   Reply With Quote