Thread: Track Day Chat
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
bpchaos
Base Member

Drives: G37S (370z+ seats)
bpchaos has a reputation beyond reputebpchaos has a reputation beyond reputebpchaos has a reputation beyond reputebpchaos has a reputation beyond reputebpchaos has a reputation beyond reputebpchaos has a reputation beyond reputebpchaos has a reputation beyond reputebpchaos has a reputation beyond reputebpchaos has a reputation beyond reputebpchaos has a reputation beyond reputebpchaos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///maestro View Post
also - need some suggestions.

I'm stuck between two sets of tires. NEXEN SUR4G 275/40/18 and Federal RS-RR 265/40/18

both are about the same price. The nexens aren't offered in 275. I'm currently running 275 and contemplating bumping down to 265. I've got a buddy who swears by his nexen tires. Anyone try the Federals?
I've run the Federal RS-RR in that size. They run wide for a 265.

My experience is that they are:

1. Loud. They sound like a mudder, with a frequency that isn't easily tuned out with more noise.

2. They hook well almost immediately. Your out lap can be your warm-up lap, and they're ready for times the next lap. I'd say they are comparable to a Hankook RS4+ in terms of grip.

3. They are pretty uncommunicative. They grip well but they're a bit sloppy and don't squeal at the limit. Either that, or they've deafened you so you can't hear it. The extremely stiff sidewall means you can get quite good turn-in and responsiveness, but again, it's sloppy and you're guessing at your slip angles.

4. Longevity and road manners are okay. I would say pretty typical of a "200" treadwear tire, and I drove them from Los Angeles to Thunderhill during the winter so it's... bearable.

5. They are scary in the wet. The tread is pretty much entirely useless, BUT FLAMES YO.

Last edited by bpchaos; 06-07-2019 at 03:04 PM.
bpchaos is offline   Reply With Quote