View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
RWT
Base Member

Drives: 13 Nissan 370Z T
RWT is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear of your situation.

I'll share my experience with selling modified vehicles (Jeeps).

My first one, I did as you described, saved the original parts and spent hours & hours and a lot of labor returning it to stock before selling. I did so with the belief that a modified vehicle doesn't sell for much more than a non-modified vehicle. Sold the Jeep and sold the aftermarket parts I removed. What I realized from my experience was that I didn't recoup nearly as much as I thought would from the sale of the aftermarket parts and when I factored in the time and labor (not only removing the aftermarket parts but reinstalling the OEM parts adds up and my time is valuable), I didn't really make, or save, much at all. Of course, your mileage may very.

So, with my Jeeps that followed, I didn't return them to stock, sold them modified knowing I wouldn't really make much additional money over stock on the sale. However, I sold the stock parts I removed along the way, which didn't require any additional time or labor, and made money on that end.

It's not as easy as, I payed $1200 for my aftermarket exhaust and sold it for $900. That's an over simplification that doesn't consider the value of the removed OEM parts, the time and labor associated with removal and re-install and any bump in sale price of the car as a result of the modifications.

I didn't run a spread sheet or cost analysis but I came to the conclusion that the money from the sale of the OEM parts removed, the increased sale price from the modifications (albeit not great) + the time and labor I saved by not returning the vehicles to stock, was better for me.

I am not saying my choice is the best choice, I'm just saying it works for me.

Just some thoughts.