View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
ZCanadian
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 370Z
ZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, big range of options there! :-)

Never owned one, but spent some time on track with a really nice guy who did. Was a Turbo, actually, and tuned. But wicked fast. Definitely not your uncle's SUV. Porsche quality all around. Definite nice car. But, and it is a big, Kim Kardashian sized but, the cost of ownership if you go the dealer service route is a significant deterrent to the 99% like you and me. This problem will be similar with any //M or AMG performance SUV.

I hope that others here, and people on Porsche/Macan boards can help you better with what to watch out for. I'm sure there are - there is for every make/model.

If you are considering a Civic Type R, look at the Veloster N while you are at it. Probably a better warranty and I think a car of equal value. Have seen both driven in anger, and they are certainly equally capable. Veloster sounds better! Golf R has a huge amount of aftermarket parts available for it if that is your thing. But it isn't a stand-out car like the others you mention (although outstanding performance, I understand).

Maybe you would stress and prioritize what you want out of another vehicle. I'm reading between the lines somewhat and get:
Sounds like 4 doors / 5 seats is only part of the equation.
Different from the Z
Not stupid cost of ownership.
Driver's car, not "truck" feel.

Consider also (along the same vein as the P car performance SUV):
Audi SQ5 (it's the Macan's poor cousin).
Alfa Stelvio Ti Sport
Jaguar E-Pace (or F-pace if you want to go larger)
Volvo XC40 or XC60

Or, from out in left field, MINI. Clubman or Countryman in John Cooper Works trim are 4-door and very fun and tossable.

Last edited by ZCanadian; 05-28-2019 at 05:15 PM.
ZCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote