View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 06:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
StanPoland
Base Member

Drives: Nissan 370Z Nismo'17
StanPoland is on a distinguished road
Default My list of 7 biggest, but solvable issues with stock 370Z Nismo

I'm the owner of 2017 370Z Nismo 6MT and over that two year period I've made this list of 8 things that have disappointed me the most about factory 370z nismo, although you can easily fix them with few aftermarket parts. I've made this list, because when people make those videos "5 things I hate about my 370z", in my opinion they miss on some very important things and they don't provide with solution, so I decided to complement them with list of my own.

1) lack of factory oil cooler - since Nismo is theoretically a performance version of stock 370z, it's just super disappointing how hot oil gets while aggressive driving and if your right foot is as heavy as mine, you will kill your engine in no time without oil cooler installed. Although beware that even with biggest possible oil cooler out there which is 34 row Setrab, your Zee will still get hot on track days - during 15 minute session, I still have to make one slow lap in between the session for the oil to cool down to normal operating temperature.
2) lack of proper LSD - stock Vicious LSD is just not good enough and causes hell lot of one wheel fire on corner exits. There is a cheap way to modify stock VLSD, in order to give you proper diff lock (around 40%) with some under tray in the diff, but unfortunately it's my mechanics trademark secret and I'm not exactly sure how they do it, all I know it provides with tremendous results and Z is just so much faster on corner exit while accelerating and in general car feels much more rigid. Cheap alternative for proper LSD, but provides with similar results. There must be some information how to do it somewhere, I just don't believe my mechanic is the only one to know this technique, but personally I couldn't find any more info about it.
3) Lack of adjustable upper control arms - there is absolutely no better handling modification then -3 negative camber up front. No more super heavy nose and no more understeer. If you care how your car handles turns, this is should be first modification on your list (-3 front outwards 0.1, - 2.5 rear inwards 0.1 - optimal geometry IMO)
4) too high final gear for stock power - Z just feels so much slower than it actually is with stock 3.7 final gear. Upgrade to 4.08 and your car will finally start to feel alive, but beware of increased fuel consumption
5) looks without lowering springs and spacers - although general esthetics of 370z are good, they are ruined by how high Z seats and how hidden are the rims inside of wheel arches - upgrade to swift springs, they not only greatly improve handling, but looks as well and match it with 15mm spacers all way round, and you will get the look your 370z deserves
6) bouncing up and down differential while launching, especially noticeable on wet surfaces. Fix for these are urethane diff bushings, diff brace and rear traction arms. Solves this issue completely
7) too quiet exhaust and engine sounds coming from speakers - pretty self-explanatory
8) terrible clutch pedal feel out of stock clutch pedal assembly - fix for this is RJM Clutch pedal assembly, kind of hard to describe the difference, but with it installed I never missed any gear during fast shifts. Amazing modification, highly recommend to everyone.

If you think I've missed some important solvable issues with stock Nismo, be sure to share it in the comments.

Instagram (nismo_fairlady)

Last edited by StanPoland; 05-27-2019 at 08:06 AM.
StanPoland is offline   Reply With Quote