View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #2629 (permalink)
G3RSTY7
Base Member

Drives: Infiniti G37s 6MT
G3RSTY7 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about 8 rib belt tensioner

I just ordered a Gates belt tension gauge to try to avoid guessing on the belt tension as right now I'm hearing some gear chatter when shifting gears while everything hasn't been completely warmed up probably first 20 minutes or so of driving (probably belt was too tight) but I do see some signs of belt slip after I loosened it so I ordered a gauge. Gates says belt tension should be between 120-160 when cold, and if tension drops below 120 after the car/belts warm up for 5 minutes, then it needs to be tightened. Sound right?

I attached a picture below to clarify, but when I adjust the belt tension do I just get below the car and turn the long hex bolt CCW to loosen and CW to tighten, or do I need to loosen the bolt behind the tensioner pulley, then adjust the long hex bolt, and re-tighten tensioner pulley bolt? I understand there is usually some sort of spring mechanism in the tensioner to help it do it's job so I want to get it right.

Also while I'm in the business of checking belt tension, anybody know what tension the serpentine belt is supposed to be? I thought the stock tensioner was supposed to take care of that but I've read some things that make me want to double check it since OEM isn't designed to also run a supercharger.

I have the green no-slip belt and pulley if tensions make a difference from the OEM belt FWIW.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tensioner.JPG (81.9 KB, 44 views)