View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #64 (permalink)
Rev_Night
Base Member

Drives: 2007 350z
Rev_Night is on a distinguished road

I just got the car back from the local performance shop. They did not have kind words to say about Stillen. I'm pretty sure I heard 'shitastic' used several times about this singular cable. The crux of the issue is that the supplied throttlebody cables, even the 'improved' ones aren't great. My car has failed a few times due to this problem, with the only silver lining is that it wasnt failing for any other reason. Just this one part.

You see Gentlemen, we are a community of modders. OEM is treated as a dirty word synonymous with 'bottom dollar' and 'crap'. While this view is not incorrect, it is incomplete. A part simply being created in the aftermarket does not guarantee that it will be better than the OEM it wants to replace. And this leads us to their solution: Permanently remove all of the Stillen harnesses and use OEM instead.

On the surface, both Stillen and OEM are the same with (i think?) 6 cables. The issue with Stillen is that even with the known workaround heat/EMI sleeve, only 1 cable is being insulated. With OEM, 4 cables are insulated. And I must note that in the 10 years I've owned my 350z, not once did I ever experience an electrical issue.

So now with the OEM harness in (labor+material cost = $192, very reasonable), my car starts fine. Of course, it started fine with the normal, upgraded, and sleeve cables too, so really only time will tell. As for how to get these OEM cables, they happened to have some on hand, so sorry I can't provide a part number or link for you.

Something for you all to consider.

Update: 2 weeks later, and running good with OEM cables. No issues experienced.

Last edited by Rev_Night; 05-30-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Rev_Night is offline   Reply With Quote