View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
tRidiot
Base Member

Drives: '09 370Z Sport
tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone install a high-output alternator in their Z?

I heard or read somewhere that the Z has some kind of special system which regulates alternator output to demand, and that it was possible an aftermarket alternator could be problematic. I'm wondering if any of you guys have actually put one in, and what the results were? Mine's a 2009 Sport, BTW...

I know this car has a pretty robust stock alt, I get that. But I have 3 alternators on my Tahoe. Actually I have gone so far as to separate my stock electrical and stereo electrical on the Tahoe. So one alt is actually just a placeholder on my 3-alt bracket, one is a stock 145A to run the truck, and the last is an Ohio Generator 300A charging just the 2nd battery and running my system.

So due to lack of space in the engine bay of the Z, I am hoping to replace the stock alt with a high-output version, something over 250A, I hope. I have emailed OhioGen, but it's been a day or two and haven't heard back from Tom Eliopoulos yet. Was just wondering if anyone had done this, or is everyone pretty well sticking with the stock alt?

Just for reference, I have a Sundown SAZ-3500d (v1) and a pair of Zapco DC 750.2 amps, for a total of about 4200 watts available. Not really anywhere to put a second battery unless I put it in the hatch, which I'm not hot on right now, but I'll probably put an Odyssey Extreme Group 35 under the hood, as that's what I have in my truck. Seriously good AGM batteries.

Would love more information on the regulation of the electrical system, if anyone has it - I went with a self-exciting alt for the system in my Tahoe - after several years of trying to get my triple-alt system to run properly by the alternator control module I bought, going through a ton of batteries, I decided to go simple and separate things.

So... any specific info along these lines?

Last edited by tRidiot; 05-18-2019 at 02:42 PM.
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote