View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #36 (permalink)
mastatikle
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370z 6M
mastatikle is on a distinguished road

First off ignore what these people are saying about age or whatever. I’m a firm believer that If you can start making sh*t happen and work for you at a younger age then you’ll keep that mindset/motivation as you progress in life. This is a sub 15k car, it isn’t going to ruin your life if you buy it and have to work a little harder to keep it.

Anyway I bought my first 370z at 19 also. I haaaddd to have it lol. Could have bought it sooner too but I waited till I found the right one. Long story short. It’s a fun first sports car. It’s got an ok amount of power and it handles good stock. I think it’s one of the best sports cars in that price bracket. These cars do have issues. One of the most common ones is the CSC failure. I had it happen to me a couple times and it will leave you stranded. Expect to spend at least $1000 when that happens. Another common issue is the steering lock issue which will also leave you stranded. Next comes the misfire codes here and there that you can try to chase down.

My insurance rates were also high, somewhere in the 3k range. My 2011 Kawasaki zx10r which I had at the same time was $3700 a year LMAO, I still have the receipts for that.. So I was fortunate enough to convince my mom to insure the car. It was only like 120-150 a month with me listed as driver. Hopefully you have parents, grandparents or older siblings that would do the same and trust you enough to insure the car for you.
Paying $4000 a year for insurance on a 15,000 car is stupid. Chances are you won’t make a claim and in 3 years you could have bought another car for what you paid in insurance. I wouldn’t buy it for that reason solely, insurance cost.

I kept my first 370z for two years, it wasn’t fun anymore and it was slow compared to all the newer cars around. So I sold it and found a car with everything I wanted, turbos and a V8 lol. I then bought a BMW M6 Gran Coupe when I was 21. So that “too young for a sports car” crap is bs. My M6 makes around 800hp at the motor and breaks traction at 120mph. I’m 23 now and perfectly fine and safe. You just have to respect the car you drive.

On the bright side, things do get cheaper though. I bought my second, current 370z when I was 22 and the insurance is only like 90 a month for full coverage.

Last edited by mastatikle; 05-10-2019 at 07:28 AM.
mastatikle is offline   Reply With Quote