View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Spooler
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Nismo 370z
Spooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCanadian View Post
I wouldn't seriously track any car with stock (street) brake pads. They are spec'ed with dust and noise in mind, not fade resistance. They are meant for city traffic, and need to work at -20 degrees. In traffic, these seldom get up to the kind of temperatures that track pads need in order to start working. These are life safety devices - even moreso on the racetrack.

Even performance pads come in many, many different flavours - for auto-cross and light lapping days, sprint, full on race, and even endurance. These are not one-size-fits-all, and very few overlap well with regular street use. Especially if you don't like squeal, or cleaning your front wheels every day. And if you like to consistently make that stop sign at the end of your street on cool mornings!

Cannot fathom how Car and Driver wouldn't figure this out. As the manufacturer, I'd just shrug my shoulders as well, and hand them the bill!

I run on Carbotech XP8's year around. No issues. Don't think you know much about running race pads on the streets. The end of your street is not an issue. The problem comes when doing interstate driving in a cold rain. That is when you need to tap the brakes every now and then to keep heat in the pads/rotors. I have done it for years. Who cares about brake dust. I prefer to stop. Loose your brakes in the triple digits once and you will make adjustments to your opinion.
Spooler is offline   Reply With Quote