View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
ZCanadian
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 370Z
ZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to depend a lot on the nature of the track. Curvy, technical circuit vs lots of straights. No doubt that horsepower can make even a mediocre driver look good whereas it takes a lot of finesse to extract the best times from a lower HP (and low torque) car (not saying bad of you, just that I've seen Miatas lap 911's on track before - you know what I mean).

I guess a cost comparison between the two (including the purchase prices, and mods on the Z) might be in order.

Also, the running costs. Not really going to be able to tell without a year or more's worth of data on each car. But IMHO, I'd leave 2 seconds on the table when it is only open lapping / HPDE if it meant I could do it at a considerably lower cost. 2 seconds is nothing that better driving cannot pick up (unless you are already Lewis Hamilton, in which case, glad to make your acquaintance). And the satisfaction is greater from a well-driven lap vs a well purchased car. Obviously, both would be even better.

Curious how this comparison would play out, though.

I track the 4C and will get 1,000 Km of track time out of a set of semi-slicks (that's good) and probably 2-1/2 to 3x that in front brakes. The rear brakes are just for decoration on that car and I don't expect to ever have to change the pads LOL. I can run 120Km on the track for less than $60 in fuel (and our gas is about US$4.20 per gallon for premium here) whereas my 911 and C7 buddies run nearly 2x that much. Haven't needed to rebuild callipers or replace rotors yet in 4 years. So far, no indication as to the cost of more extensive replacements (the dual clutch won't be cheap).

I know some people who have tracked a Giulia Q, and they report that it's easy to drive off a brand new set of tires and brakes in one day!!! HP + weight - can be both friend and foe. Would be very informative to know how the Camaro (and Corvette) fare.

There are C7's which blow my doors off, but they also end the session early or shorten their day because they don't want to overheat the car, overuse the brakes, or replace those wide-*** tires (his fronts are bigger than my rears!) too soon. To each their own, but I cannot help but think that I'm having more fun than they are!

Last edited by ZCanadian; 05-08-2019 at 03:39 PM.
ZCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote