View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
AestheticCM1
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z MT/ST/Navi
AestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond reputeAestheticCM1 has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is to respect the rain and really get a feel for not only the Z, but rwd in general before you really start to push the car in any capacity. Driving dynamics and counter-steering are entirely different on a rwd car compared with the fwd car to which you are accustomed. The last thing you want to do is overthrottle exiting a corner only to realize that unlike your fwd car which will begin to understeer and plow outside of your chosen line, a rwd car like the Z will kick out the rear end. The driving nannies in the Z will certainly be your friend until you're used to the car. To that end, don't turn off traction control until you have a nice warm dry day, tires with life, and not alot of cars around you because you may very well spin the car.

Ride is fine, the price you pay for stiff suspension (performance over comfort). Gas mileage sucks. Tires are expensive.

Given your age and your concern over the insurance, I'd recommend getting an FRS. It's not much of a HP bump, but it's easily the best (and most fun) car that I can think of for learning how to handle a sporty rwd car. You can hang it out non-stop and still be in complete control due to suspension, 50/50 weight distribution, tire width, lack of hp/torque, and relatively low vehicle weight. Further, with baby backseats, narrow tires, and a trunk, you'll be able to drive the gt86 year round with ease (provided you pick up some all seasons or snow tires). Winter driving is something I wouldn't advise in the Z. Some do it, but it's far from ideal no matter how you cut it. After a couple years with the frs, you'd be more than prepared to trade it and step up to the Z or other 300+ rwd cars/coupes.

No car I've ever driven felt as close to the e36 3 series as the frs, and those were well designed cars.

I like my cars like my women, Asian imports.
AestheticCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote