View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 09:58 PM   #65 (permalink)
ITGUY
Base Member

Drives: 2018 370Z Coupe base
ITGUY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryghst View Post
Do a quick google search, its not anything I came up with. I was corrected many years ago by someone into the Tuner scene.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rice
As stated above it means many things to many people, however, what was the intent of the term?
I'm 61 and a car guy all my life. Muscle car guy as there WAS nothing else back in the day.
Back in the day ricer was a derogatory term used for anyone who drove an import...Asian of course as they all ate rice ( we were pretty uneducated towards different races back then) and the term ricer really had no bearing on what nationality the person driving the car was....it was a jap car, RICER.
We just lauged at them.

Now, ricer has morphed into a term to describe meatheads that stick a Folgers fart can on thier tailpipe or duct taped a 6 foot wing on the trunk.

Of course, things have changed quite a bit...nobody in their right mind laughs at a GTR for example.

Over the years my attitude even towards the fart-can crowd has changed...back in my day we could buy a 6 banger Nova for a hundred bucks, drop in a 350 small block and a turbo 350 or 400 tranny, 12 bolt rear and go have fun.
Young guys havent been able to do that for a long time now....so years back I sort of started sympathizing with these types..what can they do these days except cosmetic stuff on an old Honda....Hell, I dont even know if high schools still HAVE a shop class...
We were all building engines in our parents garages at 15 or 16 (327 was my first) but today? Not so much.

Oh, I think my little base Z is fantastic, just love it...but its not quite the same as riding around in my 2010 SRT8 6.1 hemi ...6M of course.

Yes i know...apples and oranges...was just putting it out there