View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Baronsmokes
Premium Member

Drives: 2016 370Z Roadster
Baronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLara485 View Post
Long-story short, a brake shop spilled brake fluid all over my wheel and ruined the finish.

They offered to have it powder-coated by some company they work with, it peeled off within six months, it's a lifetime warranty but I can't afford to be driving out there every few months to have it re-done.

Not knowledgeable about wheel finishes, is this normal with powder-coating or is it just being badly done? I'm thinking of going to a good shop and having it powder-coated there but I want it to last and not have to worry about running it through power washes etc.

My other option is to buy a used wheel (not paying Nissan's prices) but I never know if I'm getting a wheel that's already been cheaply powder-coated etc. because the ones on eBay are surprisingly cheap.

So, is a proper powder-coating, prepped and done correctly designed to last or will it never be as good as original?
I have Powder-Coated wheels that have years on them and look good.

They should have lightly sand blasted the wheels.Need to make sure the wheels are perfectly clean.Then do your chem wash.If this is not done well they will peel.
Then need to bake at 350.If not baked long enough they will peel.Sounds like rushed job.
Baronsmokes is offline   Reply With Quote