View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
NOT 332hp
Base Member

Drives: 17 370Z Blk Manual
NOT 332hp is on a distinguished road
Wink [21-June-2019] 9.7 inch Vertical Android Head unit install (Picture Heavy)

DISCLAIMER: MODIFY YOUR STEREO SYSTEM MIGHT AFFECT YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY. I AM PERFORMING THIS MOD TO MY OWN VEHICLE AND I AM NOT EXPORT TO TELL YOU HOW TO DO THIS MODIFICATION. I SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES AND EVENT THAT IS CONNECTED WITH THIS MODIFICATION.

Hello all,

I had been doing a lots of research on how to upgrade the infotainment system in my wife's 2017 base.

The traditional location for double din stereo does not work for me and the Android tablet route also does not come with some of basic features (steering wheel control and back up camera).

Therefore, I decided to retrofit a vertical 9.7 inch universal Android head unit into the Z.

In this case, I can have all the benefit of Android system (Apps) and basic car features (steering wheel control, back up camera, FM, Android Auto, Car play and optional DVR).

Day 1, DHL delivered my head unit and here is the content:

I ordered the 1m LCD cable and Nissan type 1 harness but I discovered the stock 30cm LCD cable is sufficient for my retrofit.

Here is a mock up where I want the screen to be positioned.

In order to have the LCD sit at my desired position, the single din unit needs to be moved further inside. So I decided to reuse the factory stereo bracket and modify it.

I drilled out the top two dimples on the each side of the factory metal bracket and installed L support with foam from my local dollar store.

I used dremel to cut out the metal locating tab on each side of the single din unit so I can secure it onto the modified factory bracket by M4 bolts and nuts.

Now it is ready to mount the head unit into the Z.

I had purchased a set of Metra bezel so I do not have to trim my factory one.

Here is a test fit with trimmed bezel.

Spotify.

Steering wheel control.

Now, I will need to figure out a way to mount the LCD onto my desired position and model out the bezel for the LCD.

ABS board, Bondo and epoxy putty are on the way and I will post more updates once I figure out what I am going to do.

I do not like the bottom control as it looks aftermarket and I am currently looking to how to modify it as well.

Lastly, the screen has some weird high pitch noise from 50% to 80% brightness and I am working with the head unit support to resolve this issue.

Thank you for reading.

------------------------------------------------May 27, 2019------------------------------------------------

The replacement chassis arrived today so the build continues...

First, I printed out the adapter bracket to move the LCD up a bit.

I also started my design on the bazel, but it will take a couple tries to get it right...The angle and the shape of it is difficult to copy.

In addition, I did so research on modifying the system APK.

All the UI graphic are stored in SystemUI.apk and I had exported all its content and edited with Adobe Illustrator.

Here is a quick mock up with the new icon style and color scheme, I tried to mimic the interior color of the Z.

I will report back once I figure out how to swap out the system APK with the custom one...

------------------------------------------------May 31, 2019------------------------------------------------

After a couple tries with mismatching the APK from horizontal HU.

I had successfully flashed the vertical interface with the horizontal UI.

Here are some pictures of it:

I had successfully swap out the AUX, Bluetooth, Music, Video and SystemUI APKs....

It is still far from perfect but it seems to be a good start.

------------------------------------------------June 13, 2019------------------------------------------------

Here is the mock up on the bezel and it fits the screen perfectly.

I will just need to prime and paint it!

------------------------------------------------June 21, 2019------------------------------------------------

Instead of paint the bezel, I decided to vinyl wrap it with carbon fiber vinyl.

Here is the result of the warp.

My stereo build is almost complete and it is time to put everything back!

Thank you for reading... Please let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by NOT 332hp; 06-21-2019 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Content Updated
NOT 332hp is offline   Reply With Quote