View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 01:03 AM   #56 (permalink)
UNKNOWN_370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCanadian View Post
I think that mentioning Corvette and Ferrari in the same breath is ridiculous. A vette is a vette. And it”s a great car. The new one likely will be as well (although a lot of FR vette owners are going to buy one and kill it because then haven’t a clue about MR driving dynamics), but it is no Ferrari. It’s not a 911 either. It’s better than a Cayman, at Cayman prices and Chevy cost of ownership. Which is no small feat, and 50 years in the making. Only people who have never driven a Ferrari would make that comparison.

It will also have a mid-range interior, and start to fall apart like every other Chev does, at 50,000 miles. First the visor mirror cover will snap off. Then the seat motors and window regulator will die. Oh, and because it is a GM, it will lose a wheel bearing every 40K because that’s what you do when you are a GM. BTW, not saying that a Ferrari would fare any better in this respect - it likely wouldn’t although few ever see that kind of mileage.
Well. Since the C4 came out. It was designed to be a bargain version of a Ferrari Daytona. That's why when that car came out. They made Ferrari conversion kits which were made popular in the Miami vice television show.
Now aesthetically... We know there's no true comparison from an average built production car to a handbuilt italian machine based on the quality and workmanship. But Chevy has done a few things that are fair enough to call it a poor man's Ferrari.

1. Corvettes have similar ride height
2. Corvettes near 200mph top speeds.
3. Corvettes get up to 1.2 lateral g's
4. Corvettes rival in width and weight.
5. Corvettes have run on the same race tracks as Ferrari's.

So I don't think it's as ridiculous as you say. Tell me another car riding around with a 200mph top speed with 1.2g and 650hp for $80,000? But I bet you can point me to a Ferrari lamb or McLaren.

As far as comparing cuz I've never driven one? Well I spent $1600 to drive 4 supercars. Ferrari being one of them. Nothing sounds or shifts like a Ferrari. A Ferrari is one of a kind. But a corvette can give you some of the experiences of owning a supercar. Despite its production idiosyncrocies and lower quality. Lastly. Car mags used to always do the comparo between the 2 cars in the 80s and 90s.

Last edited by UNKNOWN_370; 04-14-2019 at 03:12 AM.
UNKNOWN_370 is offline   Reply With Quote