View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
What did you have? The Covered Wagon 370z. LOL
2012 Touring with Sport package. Every time you hit an expansion joint or anything in a corner (such as on a bridge), the back end would dance around, scoot sideways a few inches. My Dad hated riding with me, and I found it rather odd, as none of my other cars from my 1988 GT to my 2011 Z06 did it, and my Jeep and CX5 (both of them) afterward didn't do it. For 2013 they supposedly fixed the Z's suspension with better shocks/struts though, so I dunno if later years had this under-damping issue. All I know is that it was the worst "behaved" car I've owned since my 1988 GT (which had some nasty habits with a huge cam, max power at 6K+, and 4.10's out back with a 3.27 first and factory width rims, lol!)

Anyway, I remember the steering input on my 370Z being similar to the CX5 I have now. Sharp, but not "razor". My Z06 was razor. You ask it to do something, it did it THEN! Not when the body stopped the tiny bit of roll induced by the quick turn. THEN. No waiting. As firm as the Z06 was though, it handled bumps way better than the 370Z. I lived in Shreveport, LA at the time, and the roads were terrible. The Z06, I could hit a bump on the highway and it would just soak it up. The 370Z, if I hit the same bump (before you ask, go to that shithole and drive around. The roads are concrete and done in "sections" to account for expansion...well it didn't. So they ground them down, and the result is a very "wavy" highway with some serious "rolls" in it) at the same or even lower speeds, I would lose traction and get a TSC light flicker out of it. This also translated t o bumps mid-corner, like expansion joints, etc. They upset t he 370 greatly. The Z06, you knew they were there, but it didn't lift the tires and skip. In short, the 370Z seemed like how a child thought a suspension should be "Make it stiff! Springs springs springs!!!" The Z06 and almost every other performance vehicle and even my CX5s have been much more mature, in the sense that if they were sprung forcefully, they were also VERY well damped. You didn't have a "jittery" suspension that had what felt like a very small range of motion. You had a very taut suspension that felt like it articulated a lot, and shocks and struts that damped that motion so as to prevent the car from "bouncing all over". On a perfect surface like a skidpad or a test track or auto X, the issues don't show up. Daily driving, they were and are very apparent. It was also readily apparent cresting hills at high speeds or dips. The 370Z gets really light on its feet after the suspension compression if you don't properly brake to damp it. Other vehicles, much less so.

Last edited by ImportConvert; 04-04-2019 at 01:17 PM.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote