View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #4144 (permalink)
Ghostvette
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 Magma Red 6MT
Ghostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsmokes View Post
Friend has a matching number 66 vette he picked up.

Car is unrestored and in rough shape.Block is cracked.

Local machine shop repaired crack in block by drilling pins into crack.

I had not seen a block repaired in this manor.

Other atempts at block repairs I have seen failed over time.

Guaranties fix.

Very interesting to watch.
Even money bet that it leaks. It's probably cracked to the oil gallery. Pressure check the system before he drives it.

I've worked on 'Vettes and depending on rarity of the car, it's better to just replace the block and move on. The other option is to find a good block with the right casting codes, deck the block to remove the old serial number and restamp the block with the correct VIN. I saw this done on a 67 convertible 427 A/C car with a cracked block.