View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 12:50 AM   #45 (permalink)
BGTV8
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z M6
BGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, I have been involved in motorsport for over 40 years, and I learned a long time ago that "engineering" solutions to avoid problems is a lot cheaper than engine rebuilds.

You are talking to a guy who broke 3 engines in a single season back in the 80's and they were 8-10k each in $'s of the day - maybe 2.5 times that now.

IMHO, it is well worth investing in components to eliminate sources of failure and lifing components appropriately.

That said - this is feedback from a hard-core racer - and for anyone beating on rtheir daily for 15 seconds at a time - maybe you can ignore it.

If you are regularly tracking your car and it spends more than 20 seconds per minute at WoT, then maybe you can benefit from my experience.

Doran racing and JWT (their engine builders) will both tell you that OEM cranks crack quickly at 8000+rpm and rod-bolts are a weak point in the OEM engine - do they fail - no, BUT if there is a crack - it will fail in an unpredictable time. The engineers solution is to change it once a crack shows

I'm more than happy to be ignored - but feel bound to put my hard-won knowledge out there if it can help others which I think is the purpsoe of a forum like this one.

Happy for the dissenters to dissent but am perfectly comfortable with my views.

Last edited by BGTV8; 03-29-2019 at 03:41 PM.
BGTV8 is online now   Reply With Quote