View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 12:39 AM   #44 (permalink)
zer099
Base Member

Drives: '98 200sx; '09 G37x
zer099 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
The search function is your friend. Use it and spend hours reading old threads. The data is out there.
You're presuming no search was done. Search "broken crankshaft" and you get six returns, none about breaking a crank. One from 2016 where a guy directly asks about the limits of breaking the crankshaft and the one reply he gets is more focused on HP and a slight guess at RPMs. Try "broken crank" and you get about two pages, but only one useful thread (in regards to the question), sans this thread that now shows up in that inquiry. And that one thread doesn't actually state why, how, conditions, or anything of the like; just that a when they retired an engine it typically had a broken crank, and their rev limit was 8750. Same goes for "valve float". I spent the better part of my time searching these boars and the internet before commenting in this thread. The original question in this thread was about 8000. The necro-revival of this thread was about similar, and in either cases I found it doubtful it was about season tracking the car and living its life in the 8000+ range. To enter the conversation and tell people they need to worry about there crank can seem absurd. We have no evidence you need to worry about your crank in the low 8000s with the type of use the engine is most likely going to see. Valve float, maybe. Rod bolts? According to a reputable shop it is an issue. Oil pump, for sure, we all should know that (though dry sump is not the only answer or the correct one depending on the engine's use).

The data is not always out there sometimes. Sometimes you have to wear on people's nerves to get information that they themselves might think is out there.