View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #35 (permalink)
zer099
Base Member

Drives: '98 200sx; '09 G37x
zer099 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
Then you have to worry about the crank and oil pump. The motors JWT prepared were dry sumped due to this issue and had Bryant cranks. It's not just the valve float you have to worry about.
You still going back to the price-is-right estimations we had? Is there a single recorded case of a crank in our engine braking due to over-reving? The two wet-pump/OEM style options (that I am aware of) both claim to be good up to around 8500rpms. The NISMO option (not included in the previously mentioned two) is crap. Going dry sump and custom crank seems like a lot without recorded failures to justify it. I understand precautions but innovation often trumps throwing money at something. If the stock crank can handle 8500, and you have a pump to handle 8500, and if their is a valve-train issue and it is addressed to handle 8500, why throw $8-$10k more at the engine when it can be better spent on the consumables you will need to purchase when racing? Rod bolts and better mains would be a good investment as the strain will be there, and it's cheap insurance in my opinion.

Suckerpunch alone claims their pump set-up is race proven up to 8600.