View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Capncorroded
Base Member

Drives: 2016 370 Nismo
Capncorroded is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber370 View Post
Today's so-called automobile technicians simply replace the ECM anytime they can't find the true cause of an electrical gremlin. By them saying they don't know why it failed says it all. If I had my ECM fail, I would definitely want to know why to avoid it failing again.

With such low mileage I find it hard to believe your ECM failed unless you've been storing it outside under a tarp all winter or a place with very high humidity OR your car was a flood damaged salvage car.

I always keep my car hooked up to a battery maintainer when not used for longer than a week. Today's car electronics require a fully charged battery at all times.
Car is stored in a clean heated garage, low humidity for CNY in the winter, was def not a flood/salvaged car, and no signs of rodents or anything. The day before, I even started it up and pulled it out to turn it around and it was fine- then boom, all sorts of issues.

Being an HVAC technician myself, I have to deal with loads of control boards, miles of wiring, various sensors, harnesses etc, and have had multiple situations where I have had to replace control boards without a direct reason of why the board failed - Do I like that? nope, not at all. I def want to know what happened so it doesn't happen again, but sometimes it is what it is.
Capncorroded is offline   Reply With Quote