View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
FL 4Motion
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Baby Shark
FL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
I tried searching but did not quite find the same scenario.

- I have a high whp Z
- I'm not a fan of the longevity of the R888R
- I can't afford to buy 4 R888Rs every 6-7k miles

So, my thought is this:

- Buy R888Rs for the rear wheels only
- Buy RE71Rs for the front wheels

Theory: The RE71Rs will last twice as long as the R888Rs. If so, then i'll only have to spend the cost of 2 tires when the R888Rs wear out. Then the 2nd time around i buy all 4 again vs buying all 4 every 6-7k miles.

Any recommendations on this? Any cons to doing the tire setup this way?
This is a bad idea. Mixing tire/tread compounds is dangerous. Your tires are the only thing between you and the road. That’s critical on any car, it’s 100x more critical on a high hp rwd car.

Different levels of grip front vs rear bc of different tires could affect abs in a panic stop situation let alone on the track.

In the rain, your rears will hydroplane before the fronts will, not safe.

Yes, tires are consumables, but they are your most critical safety item on your car along with the brakes.

Last edited by FL 4Motion; 03-15-2019 at 01:10 AM.
FL 4Motion is offline   Reply With Quote