View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #37 (permalink)
markesc
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2014 370z M.B. 7AT
markesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchammond View Post
I never had any slippage issues with mine & even dragraced it some/drove really hard at times...my first fluid flush was at 50k & it looked like dark coffee
Didn’t smell burnt; but I wanted that fluid clean.
Did a drain/Fill,,,drive 5 miles & repeated 2 more times to flush.
A drain/fill takes about 4qts,,,but used 12 on the flush. Afterwards I only did a drain an fill every 10k (probably a bit much), but it was like a transmission tuneup every time...really firmed up my manual shift points.
Z got crashed @93k but trans was perfect
Yeah I think the issue is that even Nissan has such high turnover that it's really a roll of the dice to get someone that knows what they are doing.

They refused to touch it until after asking several times and hitting around 40k miles to then change the fluid.

It now makes me wonder/question: Was it perfectly fine and they somehow either over or underfilled it when it was changed at 40k?

I'll never know the truth and it could of course be purely coincidental, but I do wish Nissan would make it crystal clear and simpler from a design aspect to change out the fluid just like any other fluid in the car.

I suspect they went to a "sealed" design to attempt to avoid dealership and/or user errors in the process (since the lawsuits on the 5AT and CVT's), and thus created a timebomb that will self destruct but is then conveniently outside of the 5 year/ 60k warranty period, or even if you paid extra for the gold/silver plan: 7 years / 84k miles.

The whole thing is puzzling as it seems like Nissan sends three messages:

1) It's fine, "sealed" for 100k, nothing to see here *cough* oh it failed, OH WELL, you're outside of warranty now sucker!

2) Severe Duty = 30k intervals, but we're not going to make that clear nor offer consistent messaging to dealership service department that is the bottom line (and furthermore: who knows how well and to what extent they are trained since I doubt they touch many 7AT's compared to CVT's as it was mentioned when I dropped off: "wow, yeah we don't get these with transmission issues at all..."

3) Just sell people a new Nissan if the old one falls outside of warranty and presents a large sunk cost; I.E. I'm sure this approach didn't work out well since Nissan now is offering 10 years / 120k mile warranty on the CVT's

So yeah if I had to do it over again, I "woulda" purchased the 6 speed setup and bit the bullet on the whole CSC thing....

Now the question is: Should I even keep the car past the 7 year mark assuming all goes well with this issue?
markesc is offline   Reply With Quote