View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
cossie1600
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370, Leaf
cossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond repute

Tesla repaid the loan from the feds with interest a few years back. The EV federal tax credit are easily offset by the sales tax you have to pay. My sales tax bill cost more than a used Z. I don't know who is getting a free ride here?

Since EV cars mostly being charged at night, they lead to no real increase in grid utilization. If anything, they are maximizing inefficiency of the grid. I am not sure where you are seeing new powerplants being built, there must be a huge boom in Canada? If you want to talk about cost, what about all the subsidy we throw at the oil company? Let's not forget about the warming of the climate, which leads to bigger and strong storms? Heck, the polar bears are out of places to live. Do you want to kill them all too or do you prefer them to suck on your exhaust pipe and just suffocate? You want cheap oil from frecking, sure, but be sure to deal with the earthquakes too.

It's been proven time and time again the overall greenhouse emission from EV cars are lower than a gas car. Just because you are inconsiderate or you don't like it, you don't have to talk down at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCanadian View Post
Can't you just borrow a can of electrons and keep going?
Or maybe stop at WalMart and buy all the 9V transistor batteries off the display?

No question that real world results don't emulate what the brochure says. This isn't entirely restricted to electric vehicles, though. Still, that's a lot easier to deal with if your ICE engined car doesn't get quite the advertised mileage. You just stop for gas a mile or two earlier.

And yes, cossie1600, it IS my money as a matter of fact. Anyone living in a country, state or province which has subsidized Tesla shareholders or purchasers through government handouts and incentives, has a right to be concerned. Especially when (not if) Tesla fails and some vulture capital company picks up what's left of my generous tax donation to Elon at pennies on the dollar.

FURTHERMORE, the rest of us still pay road taxes on gas whereas electric owners currently pay none at all. We get the privilege of paying higher utility bills or taxes because infrastructure needs to be intensified to handle charging demand (not yet, but that will come as EV penetration increases), including everything from distribution lines to transformers to generation, even though we don't contribute to the extra demand. None of this is cheap. And it also comes at an environmental cost that isn't factored into the "green EV" argument.
cossie1600 is offline   Reply With Quote