View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
ZCanadian
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 370Z
ZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I drive cross country a lot with my motorhome. Mostly on Interstate 70 , 80 and 90/94. I tell you this. You can't drive a EV across the country. As there is NO charging stations within 200 miles of one another on the interstates. The charging stations are in the bigger cities and towns. You get out in the midwest. Have fun walking.

And I just read an article about EV's and the weather. This last cold spell killed the batteries in them. When the temps get down to zero. They lose their charge quickly. The mileage goes from 200 to less then 100. Depending on how cold it gets. When the temps dropped to -10F and less. Forget about driving. On the flip side. The batteries don't like temps over 100F either. Higher the temp, less mileage per charge. Part of the problem is in those two temps. The HVAC has to work harder to keep you happy. But at the same time drains the battery that much faster.

Can't you just borrow a can of electrons and keep going?
Or maybe stop at WalMart and buy all the 9V transistor batteries off the display?

No question that real world results don't emulate what the brochure says. This isn't entirely restricted to electric vehicles, though. Still, that's a lot easier to deal with if your ICE engined car doesn't get quite the advertised mileage. You just stop for gas a mile or two earlier.

And yes, cossie1600, it IS my money as a matter of fact. Anyone living in a country, state or province which has subsidized Tesla shareholders or purchasers through government handouts and incentives, has a right to be concerned. Especially when (not if) Tesla fails and some vulture capital company picks up what's left of my generous tax donation to Elon at pennies on the dollar.

FURTHERMORE, the rest of us still pay road taxes on gas whereas electric owners currently pay none at all. We get the privilege of paying higher utility bills or taxes because infrastructure needs to be intensified to handle charging demand (not yet, but that will come as EV penetration increases), including everything from distribution lines to transformers to generation, even though we don't contribute to the extra demand. None of this is cheap. And it also comes at an environmental cost that isn't factored into the "green EV" argument.
ZCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote