View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 03:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
cossie1600
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370, Leaf
cossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny Tesla has a cost per kw advantage on everyone else by quite a bit of margin as they make their own battery. They have the infrastructure to sustain their own charging network. Everyone has been saying the big boys will start making their own EV cars, but not many have been able to. Guess what, there are only 8 200+ miles EV car at the moment and I am sure the margins are suspect at best. How are the regular car companies going to overcome the cost advantage? The luxury car company can use their brand to sell cars, but at what point are the sales going to stop when customers realize they don't have a charging network to use. I can drive a Tesla across country with stops along the highway, can't do it in a Leaf/Bolt/Jag/Hyundai without a detour to find a station. Heck, there might be spots they wont be able to do it at all. Also they currently take 2x longer to charge!

Nissan Leaf+
Chevy Bolt
Jaguar I-Pace
Kia/Hyundai Kona twins
Teslas (3)

You can see how dismal the sales numbers are for any EV cars not named Tesla.

https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Volvo and Jags combine to sell less than a $90K Model X in one month, the people who rave about them apparently don't buy them. It's like reading on the internet about manual station wagons or any manual cars, no one cares about it at this point.
cossie1600 is offline   Reply With Quote