View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #328 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeingAround View Post
I think I am going to get my son a EVH head or Combo for his birthday this year. Your opinion?
Depends on what he's using it for. Playing live shows? Head is a good choice, although if they are small shows, he can probably get away with the 50 Watt. Bedroom jamming? Combo, head will be too loud. I'd recommend you listen to both though, because sometimes Combo amps with an open back sound much worse by comparison to a larger closed back cabinet + head.

Don't know how much experience you have in this area, so if I'm telling you stuff you know already, please feel free to ignore me! As you push tubes harder (volume up), the tubes start to naturally distort, getting a unique resonance and tone. Since that drastically affects the sound you're getting, it's really nice to have a wattage that matches your space and tolerance for noise. I find that even my 5 Watt tube amp is deafeningly loud when cranked up for bedroom jamming. In a practice space trying to play over a drummer and needing more head room, 45W or 50W may be a good choice. For a larger live gig, maybe you'd want 100W but even for small venues, 45 or 50W should be adequate. Note that this doesn't apply for solid state amps, for various reasons which I won't get into here.