View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 05:13 AM   #451 (permalink)
cupcakez
Track Member

Drives: 2009-7AT-Base-Coup
cupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond repute

03/02/2019 Update

- Eugene has done everything he could to get my car reliably running, tuned, and making sure that parts didn't fall off when driving it for ~1 hour of all kinds of pulls.

- He has done his part, and is now willing to return the vehicle to me, so I will pick it up sometime later today.

- The issues he saw was:
(1) Boost peaking at 6psi (He isn't sure if it was before red line or at red line), and didn't make anything higher during the hour he was driving it. We aren't sure why exactly it changed from it peaking to 6psi and how it was before the pulley fell off when I was driving it (2 weeks ago) -- which was peaking at around 9.5 PSI when the pulley blew off.

(2) I will take it to Seb later this year to see if he can figure out the boost issue as I don't want anyone else touching the vehicle other than just Eugene and Seb at this point. I learned my lesson, lol.

(3) I sent an e-mail to Seb a few minutes ago stating my general problem of boost peak issue, and then telling him the specs of my car, what's on it, etc. I also asked him if he would be willing to look at the vehicle sometime later this year and figure it out and find a solution to it as I'm sure he is capable of doing so if he wanted to. I just also asked for a ballpark price range on what it would cost to do this, so I know how much to save up as I finally get to start paying everything off this year (Eugene comes first!)

(4) I could always remove the air filter (assuming I don't have to remove the supercharger bracket or anything...IIRC I can remove the filter on and off while the blower and everything is still inside the car, but I don't know for sure, so I'll ask Mr. Kao! If not, then I will leave it as is -- as I'm already really happy that I have a reliable working car even if it only makes 6psi max for now.
I'd rather have a working reliable low PSI car than a 0 psi non-working car (Like I've had for the past 1.5 years), and be able to pay things off than be greedy, go for more PSI and create more issues due to me being greedy, NOPE!)

(5) There is a slight leak on the passenger cam cover side of oil, its not major but it should be addressed sometime this year when possible, but the other major oil leaks that the vehicle had is fixed, Thanks to Eugene!

(6) We changed the belt to Gates Micro-V K071056HD because the previous stock belt that came with the stillen kit would not fit with the current pulleys that was on there. Why you may ask? Because the person who worked on my car before, did something odd with the idler pulley that flew out 2 weeks ago. I don't know what size or type of pulley he used or put there, but it had to have been smaller than what we have on the engine now. Eugene said all the lines are solid, so there's no leaks in his opinion as he checked them. He knows the a2w systems do around 7 - 8 psi, and the way he changed the serpentine belt side increased contact with the crank pulley so definitely shouldn't be slipping.

Eugene says it is running like a stock blower a2a instead of a2w, and that's what it seems like to him. The only pulley he re-arranged for the new belt we got was the idler pulley near the crank, and everything else is the way it was.

There was a ribbed pulley near teh tensioner he replaced with an extra Stillen idler pulley that he had, and the original idler he removed it. This allowed him to route the belt slightly different in that spot to increase tension with the wnew slightly longer belt. This should have no impact whatsoever on the rate of rotation of the supercharger... I mean if the crank moves the belt 5.7" the belt will still move 5.7" everywhere, right?

But if we change the blower pulley, or the crank pulley then it's a different story -- but none of that was swapped out.

--- We are not sure what kind of idler was on it before (The one that popped out of the engine), but Eugene put a stock 370z idler on it and it was impossible to get the belt on. He says he just replaced one on another g37 with the Stillen Kit and he had no issues installing it, but on my car, the belt would not even fit hence why we had to buy about a 1 inch longer belt. ---

Maybe the kind of idler pulley that the last mechanic put on there was a smaller one? Who knows. The way it is now is a really snug fit -- it could be a little tighter with another subaru idler pulley, but not really as it's already difficult to force the belt over the idler as it is.

Now we have an extra Stillen pulley, and the stock idler is no longer on there due to the belt not being able to fit.

*** More Updates when I get it back ***

-PS- I'm just really thankful, grateful, and happy that Eugene did what he was asked to, and now I have a working, reliable car despite the boost peaking at 6. That's alright. I am definitely willing to take this over a 0 psi non-working car and not being able to pay stuff off lol.