Thread: Golf R Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 11:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
NecioVato
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2017 Black Nismo Z
NecioVato has a reputation beyond reputeNecioVato has a reputation beyond reputeNecioVato has a reputation beyond reputeNecioVato has a reputation beyond reputeNecioVato has a reputation beyond reputeNecioVato has a reputation beyond reputeNecioVato has a reputation beyond reputeNecioVato has a reputation beyond reputeNecioVato has a reputation beyond reputeNecioVato has a reputation beyond reputeNecioVato has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCanadian View Post
Have you driven one at all?

Seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be for you to take one out for an extended test drive to see if it suits you. If you don't know in 20 minutes, then it's not the car for you. The looks won't sway you, and it won't get easier to live with over time.

Check all of the normal things - acceleration and braking, steering feel, access, seat comfort, heater (a/c depending on where you live - not here right now), visibility, audio and connectivity, storage (both luggage room and cubbys/cupholders), USB and charging ports. NVH. Check the ride on various surfaces (giving whatever allowance you want to for the tires that are on the car you test).

The only things that an extended test drive won't tell you would be the costs of ownership, which others can legitimately help you with.
When I was looking - unfortunately i wasn’t able to find one that was a manual. The only used one I found was a DSG. The salesman had me drive a GTI as well which WAS manual - told me that the shifter and transmission was the same as what is in the R, the shifting was definitely smooth but I definitely enjoyed the Z’s notchiness. The only R that I got to test drive was a used one and while the pickup was really good and it was very smooth - I wonder if the suspension could have been a little more tighter although the steering was great.

I guess there is a part of me that is wanting to know what a manual R drives like to see if the shifter is the same as the GTI. Also, wanting to know if a lower mileage R will be tighter in the suspension etc. Unfortunately a dealer around me is willing to let me drive a new one bc of fear of putting mileage on it etc (understandable but frustrating). The other part of me is thinking not what a R can do in it’s stock form but the mods that can be applied to make it much faster etc. I know in it’s stock form - the Z is definitely superior (at least my opinion) but after a few mods I think this car could be a great drivers car.

I think the end result is definitely one where I plan on keeping the Z - did a long road trip this past weekend and it was fun - LOUD but definitely fun. Sometimes i think one just needs to go out and drive what they have to remind themselves why they bought one to begin with.

Thanks everyone
NecioVato is offline   Reply With Quote